What is Leaky Gut?
The gastrointestinal (GI) barrier is an intricate and selective barrier that controls and permits the absorption of helpful substances into the bloodstream while keeping out those that are harmful. In fact, it is 80% of your immune system. In healthy people, the barrier is tightly woven and regulated, allowing only important nutrients to pass through the gut, and protecting the body form harmful substances, such as toxins, undigested food and pathogens.
The gut is constantly exposed to food, microbes and chemicals the GI track must work continuously to defend itself from these unwanted substances that, if allowed entry into the body, can cause a vicious cycle of inflammation. The constant exposure to foreign substances can cause the walls of the intestines to become vulnerable to deterioration and permeability, a condition commonly referred to as leaky gut syndrome.
What Causes Leaky Gut?
Many things can cause leaky gut and you may actually live with it for many years and not know you have it. A few things that contribute to the destroying the gut lining are lifestyle toxins:
- Chronic stress
- Artificial food additives, colorings and preservatives
- Dietary choices, fast food, processed foods
- Auto exhaust
- Heavy metals
- Solvents paint, cleaning products
- Pesticides, Herbicides and Insecticides
How Do I Know If I Have Leaky Gut?
Here are some of the most common signs:
- Gas, bloat, heartburn, abdominal pain (IBS)
- Fatigue, anxiety and/or depression
- Sinus and allergy problems
- Joint pain and Fibromyalgia
- Multiple food sensitivities
- Weight gain, obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
- Skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, acne, hives ridged nails
- Autoimmune diseases (Crohn’s, Celiac, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimoto’s
- Heart disease and high cholesterol
- Hormone issues like PMS, PCOS, endometriosis and low testosterone
Can I Repair My Gut?
Our detailed assessment forms and in-depth health history can help identify if you have leaky gut.
If left untreated it leads to prolonged inflammation in the body, which then turns in to increases your risk for cardiovascular disease, cancer, autoimmune and many other issues like obesity, sinus infections, asthma and much more.
At Nuview Nutrition LLC we can customize a plan that is design to address your leaky gut and other underlying issues. Sometimes, the best medicine is no medicine at all.
Call today to make to make an appointment 248-625-5143